Thursday, March 3, 2011

International Family Law

Many of my friends grew up in European countries. They moved to the US, met their future spouses/boyfriends/girlfriends here, got married/moved in together, acquired property and gave birth to children. Unfortunately, some of those marriages/relationships did not work out.
Now some of my friends want to go back to their countries of origin and they want to take kids with them. Others would like to stay in the United States, but their future ex-spouses consider moving to their countries of birth. Still others found a better job in Europe and want to move there.
Few couples acquired property in different countries, not just the United States, and they want that property to be divided in divorce or other court proceeding.
Regardless of their individual situation, all of those couples have one question: Are there any international laws we need to be aware of?
And the answer is yes. International family law is a rapidly growing area of family law practice. Nowadays family law attorneys have to deal with effects of globalization and free movement of people. Unfortunately, private international laws are complex, underdeveloped and their implementation in countries is questionable.
It is my goal to ultimately focus my legal practice not only on domestic family law but also on international family law, so that I would be able to help my clients feel well informed, secure and protected no matter where they reside.

3 comments:

  1. Sad but true. Thank you for the work you do. Maybe it will also be interesting for you to pay attention to best virtual data room . You may use this tool for your business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't clarify the emotions I had while perusing this blog. I was totally entranced.
    Joseph Hayon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Detroit

    ReplyDelete